Sunday, February 26, 2012

For Travis Lowdermilk

I dont know if anyone mentioned this, but I would like to have the ability to disable objects in a Data Flow Task

Travis,

I've split this into a seperate thread because it isn't relevant to the previous thread.

What is the scenario for wanting to do this? I don't understand why this would be required or how it would even be possible.

e.g. If you have a data-flow with 3 components, components 2 & 3 would not be able to execute if component 1 were disabled. The unit of execution in SSIS is a task, not a component.

-Jamie

|||

Jamie -

I apologize for posting in the wrong topic.

The reason I think it would be cool to have the ability to disable a particular object in a Data Flow Task is:

Scenario:

Let say I have a Multicast that splits the data to into two different directions:

Direction 1: goes to a JOIN and then eventually to an OLE DB DELETE Transform

Direction 2: goes through a Lookup transform and then to an OLE DB UPDATE or INSERT.

I may want to test just Direction 2 exclusively (maybe I know Direction 1 isn't going to work yet <maybe there was a change on the db side that makes this path invalid now>)

It would be nice to disable the path on the Direction 1 side and just focus on Direction 2.

Or maybe I want to just see if the LOOKUP (Direction 1 path) is redirecting the correct number of rows but I don't want to execute the INSERT OLE DB at the end of the path.

I have already created an extensive OLE DB INSERT statement that I don't want to have to recreate. Disabling it would be nice.

I am no expert at this sort of stuff, so it is quite possible that my sense of design is flawed and therefor I have to rely on deleting/cut and pasting items in the Data Flow Task to have them be ignored during debugging.

Hope that makes sense :-)

|||

Yeah that does kinda make sense. I guess that rather than disabling a component it'd be more accurate to say "stop the flow at this point".

I think its a valid request. You should request it at the feedback center.

In the meantime you can achieve the same thing by putting a data viewer on the path that you're not interested in. That'll effectively halt the flow.

-Jamie

|||

Thats a great idea.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment